Leading regulatory agencies recommend the role of hand hygiene for the prevention of pathogenic transmission. The ability of hand hygiene, including hand washing or the utilization of alcohol based hand sanitizers to prevent infections is related to decrease in the number of microbes that contaminate the hands. Hand washing removes pathogens, while research demonstrate that 60% ethanol and 70% isopropanol, the active constituents in Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)- recommended alcohol based hand sanitizers, inactivates microbes including 2019-nCoV.
How useful are Hand Sanitizers?
Sanitizers are valuable in a hospital setting to help prevent infections and transfer of microorganisms from one patient to another or from patient to clinicians. While washing hands with soap water is the most ideal approach to get rid of germs, it isn’t constantly a viable option. In such cases, hand sanitizers are the most straight forward solution. As indicated by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the CDC, hand sanitizer is perhaps the best instrument accessible to abstain from becoming ill and spreading germs.
What are the advantages of using hand sanitizers?
Alcohol-based Hand Sanitizers such as Kiran’s ‘Health Shield’ hand cleanser liquid stops the spread of germs and disease causing microbes are of great advantage in the following ways:
- Contain microbial growth: Using alcohol based hand sanitizers are proven to stop the spread of germs including infection causing microbes thus arresting disease spread.
- Promote hygiene and healthy habits: Regular sanitization of hands promotes a sense of personal hygiene and inculcate healthy habits thus people falling ill lesser.
- Reduced wastage of resources: Alcohol based sanitizers get easily ‘evaporated’ leaving a sweet fragrance. Upon using hand sanitizers, no additional requirement of water or tissue paper is needed thus avoiding wastage.
How are hand sanitizers most effectively used?
Proper use of hand sanitizer is a must to ensure that the work of the sanitizer is done effectively-getting rid of harmful microbes. For sanitizers to be maximum effective, the following approach needs to be taken:
- Right Quantity: While using hand sanitizers, it must be applied in a way that it thoroughly coats every part of the hands including the nails and back part of the hands.
- Right way: Sanitizers needs to be thoroughly rubbed so that no residue is left and the solution is completely evaporated.
- Right Time: Sanitizers are intended to kill microbes, don’t use it when your hands are covered in dirt, dust, grease etc. for cases as such, it is advised to clean your hands with soap.
By following the basic hand hygiene and healthy habits, we can overcome greater challenges like the one which we are experiencing today. Sanitizers are not only effective but also economical way to break the chain of transmission of bacteria, viruses and other pathogens.
Let’s fight Covid-19 by breaking the germ transmission chain.