What is a coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that upon infection, may cause illness in animals or humans. In humans, coronaviruses are confirmed to cause respiratory infections resulting in ailments such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). The most recently discovered coronavirus – SARS nCOV 2 is responsible for the COVID-19 disease.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is the infectious disease that is caused by the recently discovered novel coronavirus. This new disease and the virus were unknown before the outbreak in Wuhan, China in December 2019.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Fever, tiredness, and dry cough are the most common symptoms of COVID-19. However, some patients also reported of aches & pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. Symptoms of COVID-19 are usually mild and begin gradually. Also, some people although become infected, still don’t exhibit any symptom. Around 80% of the patients recover from the disease without any special treatment. About 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 become critically ill and develop difficulty breathing. People of advanced age groups and with underlying medical conditions like blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes are more likely to develop serious illness.
How does COVID-19 spread?
People catch coronavirus from others who are infected. The disease can be passed from person to person through small droplets from nose or mouth which are spread in the atmosphere when a patient coughs or exhales. Also, these droplets land on objects which might then stick to hands and then enter the body through oral or nasal route.
How can you protect yourself and prevent the spread of COVID-19?
You can reduce your chances of being infected or spreading COVID-19 by taking some simple precautions:
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
Why? Washing your hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.
- Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the disease.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
Why? Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.
- Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
Why? Droplets spread virus. By following good respiratory hygiene you protect the people around you from viruses such as cold, flu and COVID-19.
- Stay home if you feel unwell. If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and call in advance. Follow the directions of your local health authority.
Why? National and local authorities will have the most up to date information on the situation in your area. Calling in advance will allow your health care provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. This will also protect you and help prevent spread of viruses and other infections.
- Keep up to date on the latest COVID-19 hotspots (cities or local areas where COVID-19 is spreading widely). If possible, avoid traveling to places – especially if you are an older person or have diabetes, heart or lung disease.Why? You have a higher chance of catching COVID-19 in one of these areas.
Trivitron furthers its commitment to providing best-in-class solutions for the continuity of health, and life. As an extension to this, we have the following major offerings:
- Health Shield hand sanitizers: Kiran, a subsidiary of Trivitron gives you ‘Health Shield’, a range of hand cleaning fluids which offers effective protection against various microbial strains including corona virus. Health shield help prevent infections and transfer of microorganisms from one patient to another or from patient to clinicians
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): The Kiran Cover-all is a disposable Personal Protective Wear made from high quality microporous laminated and Latex Free material and offers adequate barrier Protection against light fluid contact and particulate matter.
- Ventilators: As a most essential intensive care equipment for life support, Ventilators support the breathing process of critically ill patients who had lost the ability to breathe on their own. Trivitron provides a range of portable and hospital ventilator systems to be used to assist the functioning of lungs.
COVID-19 Testing kits:
- Real Time PCR Kits: Trivitron introduces Novel Coronavirus 2019 (n-CoV) RT PCR kits-NATsure for the detection of SARS CoV 2 virus thus confirming the diagnosis of COVID-19 disease.
- IgG and IgM antibody test kits: Rapid test kits and Biocard test kits from Trivitron can be used for the qualitative detection of COVID-19 antibody from whole blood, serum and plasma samples.
- Virus extraction kit: Trivitron introduces Novel Coronavirus 2019 (n-CoV) real time PCR & RNA extraction kits for the in-vitro qualitative determination of Orf1ab and N genes of Novel Coronavirus 2019 from throat swab, sputum and alveolar lavage fluid sample of suspected cases pneumonia, clustering and patients who need to carry out diagnosis or differential diagnosis of COVID-19 infection.
- VIsure (Viral transport media): VIsure features all required modalities that can be used for COVID-19 specimen collection kit.
COVID-19 specific laboratory hardware:
- MicqPCR from the house of Trivitron Healthcare encompasses superior quality RT PCR systems that are designed to give prompt results. MicqPCR systems are versatile and can be used to run a variety of PCR assays.
- CLIA Maglumi 2000: With a high throughput rate of 180 tests/hour, Trivitron’s chemiluminescence immunoassay (CLIA) systems- Maglumi 2000 offers a bundle of benefits. The system is ergonomically designed according to the needs of present day laboratories.
For more than 20 years, Trivitron has made significant contributions to safeguard health around the globe with are advanced healthcare and medical technology products. All our health technology products are in lines with major regulatory guidelines and is accepted through out. As we promote health and well-being for all, we make use of all our assets- from our health technology resources, R&D and manufacturing machinery and our expertise to have a positive impact wherever we serve.